Useful Phone Info for Australia & NZ
Consider budgeting for an Australian mobile phone when you arrive, rather than trying to get a deal on your UK phone for international calling. It usually works out cheaper to get a cheap phone there, or buy an Australian SIM for an unlocked UK handset.
- To call Oz from abroad dial 0061 + area code (drop the zero) + number.
- Area Codes: Brisbane 07, Melbourne 03, Perth 08, Sydney 02.
- To call the UK from Oz dial 0044+area code (without the first 0)+ number.
- To call Ireland from Oz dial 00353 + area code (without the first 0)+ number.
- To call Canada from Oz dial 001 + the 10 digit number.
- International Operator 1225.
- Australia wide taxi number 131 008 (mobile call charges will be higher)
- 013 for a number in an area you are currently in
- 0175 for a number somewhere else in Australia
- Emergency Services 000.
Peak call times are between 7am to 7pm Mon-Fri, standard rate calls are between 7pm to 7am and weekends.
Buying a prepaid mobile phone in Australia and New Zealand will help you to be contactable for employers. If you are serious about working and staying in one place for any period of time, try and budget for a phone.
- To call New Zealand from abroad dial 0064 +area code (minus zero)+number.
- To call the UK & Northern Ireland from New Zealand dial 0044 +area code (minus zero)+number.
- To call the Republic of Ireland from New Zealand dial 00353 +area code (minus zero)+number.
- To call the Canada from New Zealand dial 001+area code (minus zero)+number.
- NZ directory enquiries 018.
- NZ international directory enquiries 0172.
- In an emergency dial 111.