Plenty of hostels offer schemes where you can volunteer on-site in exchange for free or cheaper rates
Tuesday 8th March 2011
Planning an extended backpacking trip or career break? Looking for free or reduced board? Plenty of hostels offer schemes where you can volunteer on-site in exchange for free or cheaper rates.
It’s a great, affordable way to explore the world, learn new skills and meet new people.
Hostels where you can volunteer in exchange for cheap or free board include:
Hedonisia Hawaii Eco-Hostel in Pahoa, Hawaii
Two different ways to volunteer:
- Pay for three nights, stay and volunteer for three weeks. Relax and get acclimatised on your first three nights (which you pay for), then start work on the 4th in exchange for board.
- Be a 50/50 guest/volunteer. Pay half price for board and do half volunteer time for up to three months. You’ll work three hours a day for three days a week, with Sundays off.
- Volunteer work includes everything from organic gardening and housekeeping to designing and maintaining websites.
Un Destino No Turistico Eco Camping & Hostel in Patagonia, Chile
- Stay for free in exchange for farming the land and helping with new eco-projects.
- Past volunteers have harvested peas, routed the water supply and helped to make new doors.