Australia Facebook page reaches 2 million fans
Tuesday 10th January 2012
The Facebook page of Tourism Australia has reached 2 million fans, becoming the most popular tourist destination Facebook page on the web.
The popularity of the Facebook page is put down to the wide appeal of Australia as a destination, lots of pictures of cute kangaroos and cuddly koalas, and fab photos of gorgeous Aussie places and things, taken by travellers. Admittedly, it's hard to take a bad picture in Australia (we would be happy to see any examples of duff Aussie pics - feel free to post them on our Twitter @GapworkJobs or Facebook accounts and we might give the worst one a prize), but all the same, its a lovely FB page that makes you feel all sunny and chilled-beer-on-the-beachy inside. It also makes you desperate to go to Australia.
We bang on about Oz a lot on Gapwork.com, and that is because it is an all-time great backpacker and gap year travel destination. These are our main reasons for loving it:
- It's far enough to feel like an adventure getting there, but it's not stressful when you get there - things are kind of familiar if you are from the UK.
- It is a long way from all the things that irritate you about home.
- If you leave in our winter time, you arrive in their summer.
- Working holiday visas mean you can stay there and work legally for up to two years.
- The weather in the spring and summer (and even at other times of year in certain places) is amazing.
- There is something for everyone, whether you want to lie on a beach, work in a pub, scuba dive a coral reef, climb mountains, temp in an office, experience the deserts, or explore aboriginal culture.
- There is a great infrastructure there for independent travellers - hostels, cheap travel, social life and job opportunities.