Keeping In Touch in the USA
It is important to remember that across America there are many different time zones when you are considering contacting someone either internationally or in the States. It is useful to know that: • Hawaii is 10 hours behind GMT (Honolulu).
- Alaska is 9 hours behind GMT (Anchorage).
- USA Pacific is 8 hours behind GMT (Portland, San Francisco, San Diego).
- USA Mountain is 7 hours behind GMT (Denver, Salt Lake City).
- USA Central is 6 hours behind GMT (Dallas, Chicago, St Louis, New Orleans).
- USA Eastern is 5 hours behind GMT (New York, Miami, Washington DC, Boston).
Mobile phones are popular in the US, and if you are planning on applying for a lot of jobs they can be useful, as it means employers can keep in touch with you. You can either buy a handset with a ‘pay as you go’ option or subscribe to a contracted price plan.
Landlines and Toll-free Numbers
‘Toll free’ numbers are free-call numbers. You'll find that many hostels, hotels, resorts and businesses use them. You can recognise them easily because they begin with 800, 888 or 877. But be aware that if a number begins 900 it means it's a premium rate line and, more often than not, a chatline.
US area codes
Why not print out a list of the area codes in the US which can be found below:
Making calls internationally
- To call the US from overseas dial 0011 + city/area code + local number
- To call the UK from the US dial 01 + 44 + city/area code (minus 0) + local number
- To call Australia from the US dial 01 + 61 + city/area code + local number
- To call New Zealand from the US dial 01 + 64 + city/area code + local number
Regional dialling codes
- Austin - 512
- Atlanta - 404
- Boston - 617
- Chicago - 312
- Denver - 303
- Honolulu - 808
- Houston - 713
- Las Vegas - 702
- Los Angeles - 213
- Miami - 305
- New Orleans - 504
- New York (Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island) - 718
- New York (Manhattan) - 212
- Philadelphia - 215
- Phoenix - 602
- Portland – 503
- Raleigh - 919
- St Louis - 314
- San Diego - 619
- San Francisco - 415
- Seattle - 206
- Washington DC – 202
- Operator - dial 0
- Emergency – 911